[WEB4LIB] PCL XL error

Dale Goodell - WOU Library goodeld at wou.edu
Tue Oct 2 18:29:51 EDT 2001

I had to deal with a similar error message on three HP LaserJet 5M printers
that we put into service about four years ago.

The solution for me was to only install the Standard Windows 9x driver that
came with the printer (not the Enhanced or Postscript driver).  Once I had
the Standard driver installed, I then configured it to print only 300 dpi (600
dpi resulted in the error also).

I had very little luck with HP technical support in resolving this problem.

I realize this defeats part of the purpose of having a high-end printer, but
these were the only things that solved the problem for me for this particular
printer.

I haven't seen this particular error since that time.

======

> Over the last few weeks, I have helped various patrons with a PCL XL
> error message (on a printed sheet of paper) when they try to print
> various web sites.  The printer may or may not print the first page of a
> web site, then it will print:
>
> PCL XL error
> Subsystem: KERNEL
> Error: Illegal Operator Sequence
> Operator: SetLineDash
> Position: (a number that varies)
>
> We have our workstations networked to high-capacity printers.
>
> Does anyone know why this happens and/or have suggestions for fixing it?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Chris

> Due to deletion of content types excluded from this list by policy,
> this multipart message was reduced to a single part, and from there
> to a plain text message.

Dale E. Goodell
Information Technology Consultant
Computer Services Unit