The NASA Astrophysics Data System Abstract Service: Astronomy

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Tue Oct 2 14:43:30 EDT 2001

   _The NASA Astrophysics Data System Abstract Service: Astronomy_

   I am proud to announce the publication of my latest e-Profile:

"The NASA Astrophysics Data System Abstract Service: Astronomy"
_Library Hi Tech News_ 18(7): 30-38 (August 2001).

  [  http://giorgio.emeraldinsight.com/lhtn.htm ]

The NASA Astrophysics Data System (ADS) is one of the most advanced Web-based abstracting services available today. It currently provides access to abstract databases that cover four major topics:

· Astronomy and Astrophysics, the Planetary Sciences, and Solar Physics
· Instrumentation
· Physics and Geophysics
· e-Prints in Astrophysics and related disciplines

In this review, we describe the key search and retrieval options of the Astronomy and Astrophysics abstract service. In addition, we profile a number of customization features that enable users to personalize search parameters, as well as display and format results. We conclude with a summary of the novel and innovative functionalities that facilitate identification of related literature.

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
and Science and Technology Librarian and Bibliographer
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

               "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It"
                                                      Alan Kay