Obnoxious IE behavior

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Oct 24 12:53:51 EDT 2001

The question about the Scout Report brought something to my attention
that is quite annoying. In IE 6, type in "Scout Report" in your URL bar
and see what displays. For those without IE 6, the Scout Report web site
appears in a frame below a frame that includes this text:

"You reached this site by typing Keyword:  Scout Report in the Internet
Explorer address bar."

with a few graphics and a link to learn more about more about Keywords.
It turns out these are being supplied by RealNames.

What is most annoying about this is:

1) This is the URL that appears in the browser URL bar:

http://navigation.helper.realnames.com/framer/1/262/default.asp?realname=Scout+Report&url=http%3A%2F%2Fscout%2Ecs%2Ewisc%2Eedu%2Fscout%2Freport&frameid=1&providerid=262&uid=30014543

How is this helpful to anyone but RealNames??

2) The Scout Report site appears in this frame and it isn't immediately
obvious how to get rid of the frame.  On the right hand side, there is
an "X" graphic to close out the frame.

This is all around bad behavior in my view.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI