(Update Week 33) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Thu Oct 18 14:45:08 EDT 2001

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk Update Week 33
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.
-----

10/18/01
Hello from DC.

Here is your weekly weblog reminder and highlights posting.

Will Hann and I would like to thank you for the wonderful response we’ve
received to the weblog and email list.  Incredible! What’s most rewarding to
me is that the blog is of value to so many types of information professionals,
journalists, teachers, and others from all over the globe.

This WILL BE THE FINAL POST that I send to the various listservs. If you would
still like to sign-up, just head to http://www.freepint.com/resourceshelf/ and
fill in your email address. Sign-ups, along with the option to remove yourself
from the list, will always be available. Please feel free to share the url and
future posts with others.

What about the weblog itself?  Sometime next week, IF all goes as planned,
I’ll begin compiling the weblog at the Free Pint address.  Until then,
continue to use the http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com url to view the
postings.

Remember that the weekly email contains ONLY the highlights of the complete
weblog.  I’ll do my best to post new material "as it happens" or as I find it.

Now, to the highlights.  Much more on the site.

Questions, comments, etc.? You know where to find me.

Cheers,
Gary
-----------
-----------
Thursday, October 18, 2001
Library of Congress
Library of Congress Temporarily Closes Buildings, Precautionary Move

Digital Initiatives--Canada
The Canadian Inventory of Digital Initiatives
>From the site, "The Canadian Inventory of Digital Initiatives provides
descriptions of Canadian information resources created for the Web, including
general digital collections, resources centred around a particular theme, and
reference sources and databases." Spend time here and discover some real gems.
----

Wednesday, October 17, 2001
Web Search--Excite
News Searching
Another Useful Tool About to Vanish, Adios NewsTracker

Internet Training Resources
Tyburski's "Teaching Internet Research Skills" Resources Revised, Rewritten,
and Better Than Ever

Virtual Reference--Bibliography
Reference Interview--Bibliography
The Reference Interview in the Digital Library: A Bibliography
Bernie Sloan from the University of Illinois is providing access to a new
bibliography (draft) about this important topic.

Controlled Vocabularies--Compilation
Source: National Library of Canada
New Compilation: Thesauri and Controlled Vocabularies
Comprehensive list to many thesauri and controlled vocabularies used in Canada
and elsewhere
-----

Tuesday, October 16, 2001
Energy Information--Searchable Database
Source: U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Scientific and Technical
Information (OSTI)
New Database: Energy Citations Database (1948 – Present)

Online Bookstores--Amazon.Com
Amazon Launches "Look Inside the Book"
>From the news release, :"Amazon.com’s bookstore will now feature a vast
selection of interior pages from over 25,000 titles, with thousands more
titles to come."

Economic Information
Updated Site: The Dismal Scientist Is Online With A Re-Designed Site
Time to take a fresh look at this very useful resources. The site is updated
throughout the day with breaking economic news. Also, you can sign-up for
e-mail alerts (no charge) to be notified when numbers and reports from over 15
countries are released.
----

Monday, October 15, 2001
Streaming Media--Search Tools
A Company For Your Search Radar: StreamSage
>From a news release, "StreamSage Inc., the only developer of software capable
of automatically indexing, searching, and personalizing audio/video content

New, Updated, & Newly Discovered Resources
Adult Education--Dictionary
Principles and Principals: A Dictionary of Contemporary Adult Education Terms
and Their Users
119 pages .pdf
----

Sunday, October 14, 2001
US Census
Full-Text
Source: National Academy Press
The 2000 Census: Interim Assessment (2001)
----
Mental Health
Full-Text
Source: World Health Organization,
The World Health Report 2001, Mental Health: New Understanding, New Hope
----

Saturday, October 13, 2001
Info Industry--netLibrary
netLibrary Has Financial Problems, Company is For Sale

Online Searching
Source: Library Journal
Cross-Database Searching Review (Registration Required, Free)
Roy Tennant's latest LJ column on the latest developments in cross-database
searching. He mentions projects from the California Digital Library, King
County Library System, National Library of Medicine, the Library at Los Alamos
National Laboratory, and the University of Arizona.

Small Business--United States--Lists & Rankings
Source: Forbes
Forbes 200 Best Small Companies
----
Consumer Information--Canada
Updated Site: Canadian Consumer Information Gateway
----

Friday, October 12, 2001
Digital Archive Projects--September 11, 2001
Television Archive--September 11, 2001
Archive.Org Releases Beta, Streaming Video Archive of Global Television
Coverage (9/11-9/18)
Watch (streaming video) coverage from 20 broadcast outlets including NBC, BBC,
CBC, and NHK. An impressive and timely use of the WWW.

----
Thursday, October 11, 2001
World News
Political News
The Atlantic Provides (Free) Access to The Hotline World Extra

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk Update Week 33
End

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gprice at gwu.edu