Library Web predictions for the next 12 months

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Oct 17 16:35:29 EDT 2001

I'm not normally one to offer up technology predictions, especially
since they have the shelf life of a ripe apple.  However, as I've been
overloaded with library technology in the last week attending two
conferences and 1 very cool presentation, I figured I might as well
offer up my 2 cents worth.  So, here's my shot at the next 3 big trends
in public library web technology.  I recognize that none of these 3
items are "new" but I think these are the topics that will be garnering
the most attention over the next 12 months. This is from a public
library perspective. Some other institutions might view this as "been
there, done that".

1. Wireless Networking: Many public libraries large and small have taken
the plunge into wireless networks to provide access to web and other
electronic resources.  I predict that over the next 12 months, there
will be a huge demand from the public library community for information
on the "how" and "how-to" of wireless networks.  Those people who can
demonstrate how they successfully implemented their wireless network
will be in demand to showcase their success stories.  A lot of attention
will also focus on issues of security and managing use on public
wireless networks. I'm especially looking forward to some of the
creative and innovative uses of wireless that will come out of public
libraries that will have us all saying "Wow!".

2. Linux: A number of public libraries are using Linux to do everything
from host web sites to provide web access at the desktop.  There will
continue to be a strong demand for information on setting up and
deploying Linux in the public library to provide a wide range of
services to staff and patrons.  The focus will be strongest on web
services to create secure and interactive web sites and public
applications running on Linux.  Training opportunities to learn how to
install, configure and maintain Linux-based systems will be highly
valued by public library tech staff and more public libraries will
expect library tech staff to have Linux experience.

3. Internet2: This is my sleeper issue but one that has a lot of
potential.  Now that Internet2 has been opened up to public libraries,
expect to see examples of exciting uses of Internet2 capabilities by
public libraries across the country. Some of these uses will actually
use the Internet2 infrastructure while other uses will incorporate
capabilities supported by Internet2. The most visible examples will be
video-conferencing and streaming media presentations from library to
library and from educational institutions and museums to libraries.
Within the next 12 months, we'll see regular coast-to-coast interactive
video conferences, meetings and presentations between public libraries
and other Internet2 institutions.  Other Internet2 uses will include
broadcasting of library events, training programs and digital audio and
video resources.  I also expect to see the virtual reference services
expand to incorporate real-time audio and video. Also, within the next
12 months, Web4Lib will have its first US-oriented interactive video
conference and that will expand shortly to include Web4Lib members
worldwide.

Ok, that's my sort-of "brave new world". What do others think?

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI