[WEB4LIB] Re: Betr.: Building a database for e-journals

Theo van Veen Theo.vanVeen at kb.nl
Wed Oct 17 09:09:31 EDT 2001

To make use if OpenUrl three things are needed:

1) Metadata with an OpenUrl. When you have control over the presentation of your metadata this is not a big thing (see the examples in the link of the prvious message)

2) A OpenUrl resolver. This is just an html page that accepts OpenUrl and generates links to other services. These other service do not have to be OpeUrl compatible as long as you know how to generate a query with the ais of the OpenUrl metadata. Just copy my plp from the example and adapt it to your needs.

3) A mechanism to let the user specify what his base-url is. See my examples in the link in my previous message). The default page normally be an institutional link page with links to services that the users of an institution have access to. Such a page is not difficult to maintain. A user can decide to specify the page of another institution, then this maintain by the other institution. When he decides to use his own page he has to maintain it himself. It was not surely not my intention that an institution maintains personal link pages.

Theo van Veen

Theo van Veen wrote:

> The solution to your problem is OpenUrl, a person link pages (plp),
> that act as OpenUrl resolver and the mechanism to let your browser
> know to which personal link page to link.

Maybe I missed something.  Are you sure the poster is using OpenURLs?
OpenURLs are a great idea, but they are deployed in only a handful of
places, are not supported by all vendors; and it is not currently
known just how difficult it will be for libraries to handle the main-
tenance issues over the long term.  This issue looms even larger in
situation where an institution has to maintain separate OpenURL re-
solvers at each location because each resolver needs a distinct set
of customizations.

The OpenURL solution will also require integration with whatever proxy
setup they are using.

--

Richard Goerwitz                               richard at Goerwitz.COM
tel: 401 438 8978