[WEB4LIB] RE: translating Internet Explorer into a minority langu age

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Thu Oct 4 16:54:20 EDT 2001

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Finlay, Ian J wrote:

> Note - most well-written software keeps language strings from menu and
> dialogs etc. in a seperate 'resource file' - these files are then translated
> and re-integrated with the program code.

Not quite accurate.

Most well-written software keeps language strings, etc., in the resource PART
of the MAIN exe. A tool called a resource editor can edit those resources. A
resource editing capability is built into curent Visual C.

Programs that are designed to support multiple languages may go looking for a
"language" file, which is a DLL containing only resources, not executable
code.

I don't know the language structure of IE, but I do know it is translatable
(at least by Microsoft).

Another options might be to write your own program to "host" the web browser
object. Then YOUR program would provide the menus, etc.

Finally, note that you may have character set issues. Are the characters from
this language available in Unicode? Do you have fonts that include them? Can
you build your own fonts? Can you display these fonts/characters in a
byte-oriented program (programs on Win9x/ME can't easily display Unicode from
their menus).

All in all, it's not a trivial process.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com