[WEB4LIB] translating Internet Explorer into a minority language

Andrew Cunningham andrewc at mail.vicnet.net.au
Thu Oct 4 12:10:26 EDT 2001

In theory Internet Explorer on English Win9x/ME platforms can change the
language of the interface and dialog boxes.

As far as I know, know one other than microsoft has done this. With Win2000/XP
these packs are not available, since you'd actually change the langauge of teh
operating system instead using the multilingual pack.

an alternative would be to use Mozilla. The localisation and
internationalisation project pages should direct you to further information and
tools.

Andj.

Quoting Galway Library <info at galwaylibrary.ie>:

> Hi,
>
> I require a browser in Gaeilge, a minority language spoken in Ireland.
> Can
> Internet Explorer be customised in this way? The text labels on the
> toolbar
> would need to be translated. So too would the words 'File', 'Edit'
> etc.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards
> John Fitzgibbon
>
> Galway Public Library,
> Island House,
> Cathedral Square,
> Galway,
> Ireland.
>
> Tel. 00 353 91 562471
> Fax. 00 353 91 565039
>
> http://www.galwaylibrary.ie

Andrew Cunningham
Multilingual Technical Project Officer
Accessibility and Evaluation Unit, Vicnet
State Library of Victoria,
Australia

andrewc at vicnet.net.au