[WEB4LIB] Re: Two interesting articles dealing with viruses and

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Oct 4 11:20:02 EDT 2001

Dan,

Regarding this statement:

" In other words, our only IIS server is behind a Linux firewall, so it's
got an extra layer of protection. Since worms like Code Red and Nimda
can't get through Linux, then they can't reach our IIS server."

I would agree with your first statement but need to clarify the second.
Having a firewall in place normally does provide an extra layer
of protection. In our case, when Nimda did hit one of our servers, our
firewall blocked the worm from being able to download the rest of its
payload and hosing the server.  We only had to do a minor cleanup compared
to a total rebuild or restore.

However, the fact that the firewall RUNS on Linux provides no more or less
protection than a firewall running on another OS.  Linux simply powers the
underlying OS for the firewall and isn't going to stop a worm that was
travelling through port 80 web traffic from getting through. Now, your
firewall could be configured or scanned to stop this kind of traffic but
simply running your firewall on Linux isn't going to stop worms like
Nimda. That's probably one of the reasons that your tech guru smartly
keeps the IIS server patched.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library