[WEB4LIB] Audio and video archiving

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Thu Oct 4 09:49:06 EDT 2001

Couple points I omitted:

You asked about equipment.  I'd try to make format choices before making equipment choices.  The videoguys.com site is great for desktop video production equipment advice.  Pick your formats, then pick the equipment and software (and outsourced services) you need to make it happen.

One area I'm ignorant on is equipment for high-quality in-house transfer of film to digital media.  I'm not sure such equipment exists at affordable prices.  You might check with the American Film Institute or film preservation folks at UCLA:

http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/

Finally, you mentioned audio.  Getting audio levels right is important for your films, too.  It's tricky, especially if you do a multi-step transfer process.   Read Jay Rose's column at DV.com and consider buying his book.

Good luck!!

/rich

On Wed, 03 October 2001, "Gary Benton" wrote:

> What kind of equipment and software are needed for audio and video archiving? We have film movies, obsolete videotape formats and so on in our archives. We want to preserve these materials and make them available on the web.

Richard Wiggins
Writing, Speaking, and Consulting on Internet Topics
rich at richardwiggins.com       www.richardwiggins.com