Gaming consoles in education and research

John Kirriemuir gaming at ceangal.com
Thu Oct 4 09:24:24 EDT 2001

Hello,

I am carrying out an investigation, commissioned by a UK funding body, into the use of gaming consoles in learning and research scenarios, especially in the education  sector. By gaming consoles I refer to both monitor or TV based systems such as the (Sega) Dreamcast and (Sony) Playstation2, and mobile gaming-oriented devices such as the (Nintendo) Game Boy Advance.

The scope of the investigation includes:
- the use of the online facilities of current generation gaming consoles in order to access network (and Internet/Web) based services and materials
- the use of consoles as learning-oriented communication devices
- the use of consoles to exchange research or teaching information and materials

If your educational institution, unit, department or course is carrying out one of the above, or is planning/thinking about doing so, then I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Thanks,
John Kirriemuir, Ceangal
http://www.ceangal.com/