Favor Needed - Can someone please forward this e-mail? Thanks!

Edward Spodick, HKUST Library, 2358-6743 lbspodic at ust.hk
Tue Nov 13 02:32:59 EST 2001

Could someone whose access to Melvyl is still working please forward this message to domaintech at ucop.edu ?  Our servers refuse to send email to them, since their entries in Hong Kong domain name servers disappeared about 10 days ago.

Thanks for your help!

-Edward Spodick, Systems Librarian
 Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
 lbspodic at ust.hk

Dear domaintech at ucop.edu,

Your address is listed in the whois.arin.net database as the contact for the 128.48.0.0 - 128.48.255.255 Class B address space.  About 10 days ago, I noticed that some domain name entries for this range were no longer present in our domain name servers. I have since found that the problem is much more widespread.  Specifically, I have been trying to reach the following locations:

http://www.melvyl.ucop.edu/   University of California Library Catalog
http://www.cdlib.org/         California Digital Library
http://www.dbs.cdlib.org/     California Digital Library Databases
telnet://melvyl.ucop.org      University of Calif. Library Catalog via Telnet

To date, I have found that the following institutions appear to have this same problem:

Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
University of Hong Kong
Hong Kong Institute of Education
Hong Kong Baptist University
Carnegie-Mellon University
Princeton University
University of California at Berkeley
PCCW-HKT (Pacific Century Cyberworks / Hong Kong Telecom - ISP)

I would be most grateful if you could let me know when this problem is corrected, so that I can inform the Professors who are currently complaining to me.  Thanks.

 lbspodic at ust.hk