[WEB4LIB] Re: Does your library site have a name?

Steve Cramer smcramer at uncg.edu
Fri Nov 30 08:24:51 EST 2001

In terms of usability, isn't it more effective for a library web site or
catalog to be called what it is? I seen a couple of reports of libraries
realizing that cutesy names (ex. calling a catalog "Unicorn") can confuse users.

Example:

Usability of the Academic Library Web Site: Implications for Design
Louise McGillis and Elaine G. Toms
C&RL, 62 (4), July 2001, p. 355-68.

--Steve

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:26:51 -0800 (PST) Martin Jenkins <martin.jenkins at wright.edu> wrote:

> Posted to Web4Lib and MLA-L; apologies for any duplication.
>
> Does your library website have a catchy name, something other than "the
> XXU Library website"? My sense is that while most places gave catchy
> names to their online catalogs (OSCAR, Melvyl, RaiderLink, etc.), such
> has not been the trend for websites.
> If your library does have a named site, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Marty Jenkins
> --
> Martin Jenkins
> Music and Humanities Librarian
> Wright State University
> Dayton Ohio 45435
> martin.jenkins at wright.edu

Steve Cramer
Business Librarian
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
smcramer at uncg.edu
336-256-0346