[WEB4LIB] Re: SMS and push technology

Mike Novak prx000 at mail.connect.more.net
Thu Nov 29 17:03:04 EST 2001

>We are currently using VNC on our Staff Desktops as a remote administration
>tool. However this is only good for troubleshooting minor problems. This
>works fine and is a great deal more secure than Microsoft Netmeeting (which
>we disable in Active Directory Group Policy). I also do not allow any
remote
>desktop tools on our servers as that is too much of a security hole.

I do agree that desktop sharing raises security concerns, but I don't really
see what would make VNC "a great deal more secure" than Netmeeting.  VNC
uses a challenge-response password scheme and encrypts data after the
connection is made.  Netmeeting uses NT user authentication
(username/password/domain name) uses authorization certificates, and uses
data encryption.  To me that would make them both a basically equal security
threat.

Mike Novak
Technology Coordinator & Reference Librarian
University City Public Library