Badtrans and IE security issue

Francesco Giacanelli francesco.giacanelli at tiscalinet.it
Wed Nov 28 07:00:10 EST 2001

Dear Web4libbers,

regarding the Badtrans Worm, I read the Microsoft Security Bulletin
(MS01-020) about the security issues of IE 5.01 and 5.5.

This Bulletin seems to leave some questions open:

1)In our library we have two Win98 PC with IE 4.0, for which the security
issue has not be tested. The Bulletin advice to upgrade to a version
supported in order to install the patch. This sound strange: we would have
to upgrade to, e.g., IE 5.01 in order to make another install of the patch.
It is simpler to upgrade directly to IE 6.0. Or there is something I did not
understand?

2)We have also two PC with Win95, but IE 6.0 seems require Win98. What to do
in this case?

3) The Bulletin recommends to make a Full or Typical install of IE 6, in
order to install the patch. What does it mean? If I would like to uninstall
some components after the first installation, I would make the IE
vulnerable?

Thanks for any advice
Regards
Francesco Giacanelli