[WEB4LIB] Self Checkout

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Mon Nov 19 16:50:07 EST 2001

We are using a 3M Self Check Out for use with the Innovative Interfaces Inc.
System [ III ].  We've had very little to none maintenance once the initial
settings have been made.  Initial settings are mainly ip configurations for
network connectivity.  We are also a beta tester for this system now and
again bugs have been minimal to none.  The biggest maintenance at this point
is replacing the light bulbs when they burn out.  Two sort of candle shaped
bulbs shining down on the book are required for the bar code reader to
operate correctly.  We are using a Citizen receipt printer which includes
the due date on the receipt.  The 3M machine has a keypad and card swipe
option.  We have disabled the keypad option and only use the card swipe.
You need to know the number of characters on the card and if a carriage
return is included in the mag stripe data if I remember correctly.  Usually
when we are called to investigate a problem with the Self Check Out it turns
out to be a Campus Network problem that has also affected several other
machines.

Our Self Check Out system supports our III loan rules.  It reads the user's
ID card, scans the barcode, and desensitizes the magnetic security strip we
use with 3M security gates.  A message will direct the patron to contact the
circulation desk in case there is a block or any other reason's the item
cannot be checked out.  There are options to disable the desensitizing
function for use with videos though we don't allow self checkout for videos
but this may change if VHS gets phased out eventually for DVD I expect.

At http://www.iii.com/html/products/p_circulation.shtml III states there are
other vendors including 3M and Checkpoint that they support.

Thomas