LSSI Showcases Brand New Version of Virtual Reference Software at the VRD 2001 Conference in Orlando

Stephen Coffman coffmanfyi at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 10 23:43:55 EST 2001

Friends, Colleagues and Fellow Librarians

The LSSI Virtual Reference Team is proud to announce the release of Version 2.0 of our top-ranked Virtual Reference Software at the VRD 2001 Conference in Orlando.  Version 2.0 is a major new release of the software, providing powerful new functionality, and enhancements of already powerful features.  Building on to the library world’s most widely-used virtual reference tool set will help make virtual reference easier for all of us and for our patrons, including

. A new Reference Desk feature that allows you to easily work with multiple patrons at the same time, just as you might at the physical reference desk.

. The ability to start and stop Interact Database Co-browsing in the middle of a reference session.  Using this feature, you can use the basic features of the software to share general web content with the patron, and invoke the specialized Interact Database Co-browsing tool without disruption or loss of place, and put it away when you are done.

. Pointers in Interact.  The librarian has the ability to use a pointer to highlight sections on a Web page on the patrons screen.  If the highlighted section is not in view, the patron's screen is scrolled to the highlighted location.

. Spelling check in chat.   Those of you who have spent any time behind a virtual reference desk will especially appreciate this one.

. Automatic queue forwarding.   This feature allows you to automatically forward a queue to another queue ... this could be particularly useful in reference collaborative where a library may monitor its own reference traffic during regular business hours, but forward it another library or to an after-hours service like LSSI's 24/7 Web Reference Center after closing.

. Full administrative control.  Each library now has full administrative control over its own installation.   Of course, one of the great advantages of LSSI VRS software has always been that each library has its own custom installation and you don't share the software, your database or your patron information with anybody else ... unless you want to.  However, up until now, you've had to ask our technical staff to for help when you wanted to change things like your patron login screens, wait messages and other system configurations.  In Version 2.0 each library now has access to all of these system settings and you can change and modify them on your own, any time you want.  Of course, if you need help, Shirley Shasteen and the rest of our technical team, will be happy to give you a hand, as always.

. Completely Redesigned Report Module.   Version 2.0 features a whole variety of brand new reports, and reporting features like the ability to schedule reports to run automatically, the ability to maintain a report archive on the server so you can compare data over time, and much more. Those of you in charge of maintaining and analyzing reference statistics will love these new features.

. Librarian Status Monitor.  The Librarian Status Monitor is now accessible throughout the system so you can check and see which of our colleagues are online at any time.

. Improved database authentication through EZProxy.  As many of you know, LSSI and EZProxy co-designed and created an IP database authentication system that will work with virtual reference.  Release 2.0 of LSSI’s VRS Software has added some significant new safeguards to prevent unauthorized users from accessing your databases in virtual reference sessions.

And there is much more ... far too much to detail here.  So if you'd like to see what the next step in Virtual Reference software looks like, come by the first annual LSSI Virtual Reference Services Users Gathering this Sunday in Salon 5 of the Rosen Plaza Hotel, from 6:00pm to 9:00pm at the VRD Conference.  Or, come see us at the Conference Exhibits, Booths 6 & 7  on Monday and Tuesday.  We look forward to seeing you all in Orlando,

If you can’t make it to Orlando, we’ll be pleased to send you copies of the material distributed there, and discuss arrangements for your own virtual demonstration of this remarkable advance in Virtual Reference Services.  Just call or email us.

Sincerely,

Steve Coffman, Kay Henshall, Michelle Fiander, Laurel Yatzo, Arthur Brady, and all your other colleagues on the LSSI Virtual Reference Team.