[WEB4LIB] IP Address Detection

William Barnes wbarnes at husky.bloomu.edu
Fri Nov 9 08:01:08 EST 2001

We do this in PHP, works like a champ!

Here is a code snippet:

<?php
// Bill's handy-dandy URL redirection based on IP.
// Since I'm using HEADER location redirection, I can't used any 'echos' or other output.
// written: 07 / 05 / 01

$ip = getenv ("REMOTE_ADDR");

$iparray = explode(".", $ip);

// Check for BloomU IPs...  First two octects are 184.137
if ( ($iparray[0] == "148") and ($iparray[1] == "137")) {
        header("Location: pages/dbsubj.html");
        exit;
} else {
        header("Location: pages/dbremote.html");
        exit;
}

?>

Thanks!
--Bill
*  Bill Barnes, RHCE, CCNA, CNA, MCP, A+
*  Library Network Administrator
*  Harvey A. Andruss Library
*  Bloomsburg University
*  ph: 570-389-2813
*  e-mail: wbarnes at bloomu.edu

>>> "Donald Barclay" <dbarclay at library.tmc.edu> 11/08/01 04:45PM >>>
Anyone know of a quick, cheap, and good way to detect a site visitor's IP
address and, based on this, direct them to a particular page on your site?

Donald A. Barclay
Assistant Director for Systems and Informatics
Houston Academy of Medicine--
Texas Medical Center Library
dbarclay at library.tmc.edu <mailto:dbarclay at library.tmc.edu>
713.799.7120