[WEB4LIB] IP Address Detection

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Thu Nov 8 17:01:29 EST 2001

We use a crude form of IP validation for many of our pages that describe access and passwords, etc.  We keep the IP addresses in a simple database (actually, it's a hybrid of values & ranges), and then I've created a template that is used to query the database and return a local variable, onCampus.  I call this template using <CFINCLUDE> and then continue the code based on the value of onCampus (i.e. <CFIF onCampus IS TRUE><CFLOCATION URL="web page that gives access info to our users"><CFELSE><CFLOCATION URL="web page that notifies remote users that they need to be affiliated w/the campus"></CFIF>).

It's crude, but it works.

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-1698
http://www.swmed.edu/library/

>>> Donald Barclay <dbarclay at library.tmc.edu> 11/8/01 3:45:44 PM >>>
Anyone know of a quick, cheap, and good way to detect a site visitor's IP
address and, based on this, direct them to a particular page on your site?

Donald A. Barclay
Assistant Director for Systems and Informatics
Houston Academy of Medicine--
Texas Medical Center Library
dbarclay at library.tmc.edu <mailto:dbarclay at library.tmc.edu>
713.799.7120