Virus on Library cdrom? NO.

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Nov 8 09:35:13 EST 2001

I would agree with Gary on this one. The only variable that I've encountered
with these kinds of CD-ROMs is that some of these software packages have been
known to include "spyware" apps that get installed along with the application
the patron intends to use. So, if you ran something like Ad-aware, you would
find "rogue" applications that you didn't ask to be installed sending data of
your use of the Internet to some web site.  However, as obnoxious as "spyware"
is, it's a long leap from having "spyware" installed to getting a worm that
causes the hard drive to be corrupted.  I think this is a good example of the PC
tech either:

1) Blowing smoke because he couldn't explain the real cause of the hard drive
corruption

Tech: "Uh, what was the last thing that you used on the computer?"

Patron: "This CD from the library."

Tech: "Really? Well, yeah, it...it...it probably had a worm that corrupted your
hard drive. Yeah, that's the ticket!"

2) Making assumptions about cause and effect.  See #1.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI