[WEB4LIB] Re: Thin clients

latham1 latham1 at students.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 1 15:35:45 EST 2001

I'm a fan of both Linux and thin clients, but unfortunately haven't worked
with this approach.  I think their history is very interesting.  I had some
questions in reviewing it ... since Linux itself runs pretty thin -- we were
able to squeeze Redhat 6.2 onto a Pentium (1) for instance -- one wouldn't be
using it to convert low-end machines back to useful devices.  You could do
that just loading up Linux.  You are then basing your decision on centralized
management of multiple points of access, but the LTSP folks haven't gotten as
far with that as the Citrix people have.(Neither has Microsoft).  Of course,
it's *alot* cheaper than the Citrix flavor, but I still think the original is
the best solution on this -- if you have the money for it, and the time to
invest in the learning curve.

Joyce

>===== Original Message From creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu =====
>> I was interested to see what the author might say about the
>> Linux Terminal Project (going by memory with that title).
>
>Linux Terminal Server Project - http://www.ltsp.org
>
>John Creech
>Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian
>Central Washington University Library
>400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 |
>office - 509-963-1081 || fax - 509-963-3684
>creechj at www.lib.cwu.edu

J.M. Latham
University of Illinois -- Urbana Champaign
latham1 at students.uiuc.edu