IE/Netscape cache riddle

gbarkovi at bpl.burnaby.bc.ca gbarkovi at bpl.burnaby.bc.ca
Mon Nov 5 15:08:04 EST 2001

We're having a cache problem that no one, including the vendor of our
library system (epixtech), has been able to figure out.

Patron records should be available through our website but we've had to turn
this function off because it is possible for someone to walk up to a
terminal in the library, hit the 'Back' button and back into someone else's
personal information or whatever else a previous patron viewed.

There is a 'logout' command that is supposed to clear the cache, and it
works everywhere, apparently, except in the library. That is, it works fine
for remote users. Obviously, the problem is with how the browser (IE 5.5 or
6.0) is interacting with our network. However we have discovered that
Netscape 4.7 and probably other versions work fine.

Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? Why would Netscape be able
to clear its cache but IE only be able to do so outside of our network? What
should we be looking for?

This problem has gone on for several months so any tips, hunches, would be
greatly appreciated.

Greg Barkovich/Librarian/Burnaby Public library
Phone: (604) 436-5401  Fax:(604) 436-9087 /
6100 Willingdon Ave.
Burnaby,B.C. V5H 4N5

The contents of this message may not necessarily reflect the position of
Burnaby Public Library. If you have concerns about this message, please
e-mail bpl at bpl.burnaby.bc.ca.