Internet Information Server 5.0 search help

MARGO WARNER mwarner at sacramento.lib.ca.us
Mon Nov 5 11:59:22 EST 2001

We are using IIS 5.0 with Windows 2000 for our Web server and Dreamweaver Ultra Dev 4 for development.  Indexing Service has been turned on and the pages that we want to search have been added to a catalog.  When we choose query the catalog, under indexing services, the results are correct.

The next step we want to accomplish is adding a search text box to each page of the Web site.  The information we have so far is very limited.  According to the book we are using, we can either use ASP or a combination of three files to accomplish this task.

We are trying to use the three file method (.htm, .idq and .htx).  Of course the .htm files is the form portion of the page which prompts the user to enter a search string.  The form action = "query.idq" method = "get".  The .idq file is supposed to pass the results to the .htx page which formats it for the user.  However, we are receiving errors related to the .idq  file.

Has anyone used this method to set up a search on their Web site?  If not have you used the alternate ASP to set up your search with IIS 5.0?  Can you recommend any books and or Web sites that will assist us?  I am particularly interested in using the .idq method, however ASP solutions are also welcome.

Margo Warner
Information Systems Analyst
Sacramento Public Library
mwarner at sacramento.lib.ca.us