[WEB4LIB] Mozilla-based Library Browser?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri May 25 12:54:09 EDT 2001

> For those of us who are still trying to keep the flame burning for the
Mozilla browser, one of the frustrations has been the clunkiness of the
interface (why, oh why is the home button next to bookmarks)
> and its slowness in loading compared to IE.  However, for those who are
looking for a Mozilla-based browser that would be suitable for library
use, you might want to check out K-Meleon browser.

> http://www.kmeleon.org/
>
> and
>
> http://www.mozillazine.org/articles/article1926.html

I exchanged e-mail with a couple of librarians when Beonex (another
Mozilla offshoot) appeared, wondering about exactly how much work would be
involved in creating the killer browser interface for public workstations.
Of course, the outcome of those conversations was, "It would sure be cool
if someone did that."  As more Mozilla-based projects appear, I wonder if
it's time to approach this more directly.  Has anyone toyed around with
this?

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu