[WEB4LIB] Re: Creating local content for web

Richard L. Goerwitz III richard at goerwitz.com
Wed May 23 20:21:12 EDT 2001

JQ Johnson wrote:

> One area where database abstraction layers tend to lose big time is in
> handling of stored procedures and triggers.  I'd be interested in any code
> examples you sophisticated perl database programmers may have that access
> such features of the database engine.

It's interesting that you bring this up.  I think the kinds of ab-
stractions you'd normally create with stored procedures and triggers
are normally implemented, in the Perl world (at least where possi-
ble), via object-oriented Perl modules and scripts.

That's why MySQL is a decent fit for a lot of what Perl programmers
are doing.  They don't want that level of abstraction in the data-
base.  They want to control it using their own abstractions.

I think this might move us into some bigger questions re what the
right overall information architecture might be for deployment of
web-based services in today's libraries.

Libraries have intense information-systems needs, but often lack
the kinds of budgets and IT allocations (not to mention institu-
tional commitment) necessary to fill them.

Are open-source systems the answer?  They don't cost a lot.  But
often there is more overhead getting them to interoperate.  E.g.,
you won't have much trouble getting FrontPage and SQL Server to
work with IIS.  But they'll cost you.  And FrontPage extensions
have historically be a source of many security problems.  Also,
you'll have lots of fun trying to get Microsoft software to in-
teroperate with anything else.  But it'll work.  And with it you
get the warm feeling of working with an industry behemoth that
isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Speaking of middle-tier technologies, what of CORBA and DCOM?  Do
most libraries even have time to stop and think about what a sen-
sible middle-tier object technology is, still less select and build
one into their systems.  I don't know how many of the big OPAC vend-
ors even care about such things.  (I'd actually be interested in
knowing about people's experiences with the major OPACs in this
area.  Do they offer, e.g., Java/J2EE integration?)

--

Richard Goerwitz                               richard at Goerwitz.COM
tel: 401 438 8978