[WEB4LIB] RE: SunOS/BoxPoison virus

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon May 21 15:45:24 EDT 2001

http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99085 tells how it
spreads from Solaris (7 or earlier, unpatched) to IIS.   Although this
is new (last 13 days), the Solaris vulnerability goes back to late 99,
according to Sun.  We've checked our Sun box and it isn't
contaminated, but it did hit http://lester.boisestate.edu/
yesterday.  I've left an affected page up at
http://lester.boisestate.edu/images/   Basically, it puts a new,
identical page to that shown in every occupied directory under your
IIS root web, putting copies in as index.htm, index.asp, default.htm,
and default.asp, thus covering all the bases that most boxes would
use.   I left the nasty page in the images directory since no one
would ever put a page there anyway.

The fixes are relatively simple (replacing pages from backup) and
there is no apparent contamination to the IIS server.

But those running Solaris should check carefully, as after it hits
2000 IIS servers it then trashes index pages on the Sun box too.

And some ask why I support capital punishment.....   And why I'm about
to put ZoneAlarm or something on the boxes in question.  Suggestions
for the firewall?

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA