[WEB4LIB]

Thomas M G Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Mon May 21 11:12:20 EDT 2001

Lizard Tech has a product that I learned about in the December 2000 issue of
_Professional Surveyor_ Vol. 20, number 11.  In this article the National
Land Survey of Sweden (NLS)sought "Internet Solutions for Archived
Documents" for more than 50 million documents.  An additional requirement
was that file size had to be kept to a minimum for fast transfers.  "After
considering a variety of options for reducing the file size of the archived
documents, NLS selected LizardTech's DjVu technology for the [pilot]
Stockholm project."  Files were converted from tiff G4 to DjVu.  A plugin is
required fro the WEB Browser.  While all their software is not free, there
are some free downloads that will probably give you an idea of its
capabilities.

Thomas

Below is a(n) (auto?) response from Lizard Tech after I downloaded some free
software from them.

Since you've downloaded one or more of our products in the past, you're
probably familiar with the benefits of MrSID for images and DjVu for
documents, as well as their incredibly small file sizes. There's more to
come as LizardTech continues to develop software that optimizes bandwidth
usage and makes it easier to view, store, print and distribute high-quality
digital images and scanned documents.

The free downloads linked here are just two examples of the kind of
developments we'd like to keep you informed about.

DjVu ActiveX Control for Microsoft® Office
http://www.lizardtech.com/cgi-bin/products/desc.pl?tsb=1711232
Open and use your DjVu documents inside Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

DjVu Release Script for Kofax Ascent Capture 4.0
http://www.lizardtech.com/products/utilities/kofax.html
Route documents being scanned through DjVu Enterprise 3.0 for output
directly into DjVu format

If you'd like to receive updates and special offers, go to:
http://www.lizardtech.com/cgi-bin/contact/sign-up.pl?email=bennetttm@appstat
e.edu

If you would prefer that we did not contact you again by email, do nothing.
Either way, we thank you for using LizardTech products!

  Use The Help Desk at http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help
                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 2797

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine