[WEB4LIB] Re: ] RE: academic web administration

Kevin W. Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Wed May 16 11:15:54 EDT 2001

I respectfully disagree. (And as long as we're shooting from the hip here,
I don't believe ANY navigational system allows its designers to ignore the
users; EVERY navigation system must "know" its users to some extent.)

A Xerox PARC study recently analyzed web user behavior from the perspective
of "foraging theories," and have found it useful to explain the
navigational strategies of users as following the strength of the
information "scent."  That scent is, of course, strong or weak based on the
user's frame of reference, his/her experience.

Although this is a fine and delicate distinction to make, to me it seems
more productive to concentrate on WHY a user comes to our site ("what would
someone want from our jungle?") rather than telling our users who we think
they are and, as a consequence, what they want.  I would argue that users
generally come to us not to be told that they are this or that type of
user, but to find the answer to a question.

But then again, unless and until we have studies to support our assertions,
we could probably argue till the cows come home.  ;)

Thanks.
-kb