[WEB4LIB] RE: academic web administration

Heinrich C. Kuhn hck at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Tue May 15 03:51:53 EDT 2001

Lee Jaffe wrote i.a.:

> Eventually the point that seemed to win the day was that all
> of our sister campuses provided a link to their libraries on
> their homepages and therefore we looked like the only campus
> without a library.

This is a good point, I think. Just let me tell you a story
that happened here some 3 days ago:

PRELUDE:
One of our students was  thinking about spending a year abroad
as a student of university XYZ [somewhere in the USA]. She
consulted the webpages and found the philosophy department.
In order to find out whether that department is interested in
what she is interested in, we looked for lists of publications
by those teaching there; result: none found. We then checked
the major library union catalogues available here for publications
by those teachers: rather scarce results. Results from data-
bases listing articles in journals etc. were better, but
scarce nevertheless.

INTERLUDE:
The library of the university XYZ will most certainly hold
most of the monographs by the members of that department,
but we could not find a WWW-link to it. The holdings of
that library might have served as an argument, that uni-
versity XYZ has strong interest in those fields our student
is interested in; but as said: we could not find a link
to that library (local search and search engine search left
us without results as well).

OVERALL RESULT:
The student with some probability will decide to go not to
XYZ but to annother university (although it would have been
XYZ in case we'd have found the URL of the libary of XYZ and
in case there should have been "relevant" books by the
teachers at that department in that library or if the holdings
of that library would have looked "convincing" to our student).

PERHAPS TO TELL TO YOUR WWW-GODS:
Not making the WWW-pages of your library easily accessible
will with some probability result in some of the more "inter-
esting" students not coming to your university.

   Best regards

Heinrich C. Kuhn