[WEB4LIB] MBA

Kevin Nolan nolan at adelphi.edu
Tue May 8 14:58:45 EDT 2001

I am currently an MLS student in the Library and Information Science program at St. John's.

There are several Library/Information Science programs in the New York metro area: St. John's, C.W. Post, Queens College, Pratt, and Rutgers. I don't know much about these other programs - - I'd recommend a Peterson's search. For info on St. John's, I'd recommend that your friend call the Division of Library and Information Science directly at (718) 990-6200, Mon.-Thurs., 8:30am-4:30pm, Fri., 8:30am-3:00pm. Dr. James Benson is the Dean of University Libraries and Director of the program. Dr. Elizabeth Pollicino is Associate Director. I am sure Dr. Benson and Dr. Pollicino would be willing to talk with or meet with your friend.

Or feel free to email me off list with any questions.

Naturally, all programs have their strengths and their weaknesses. The St. John's program is small in comparison to other library science programs. But the faculty is very good, IMO, and the University is supporting several new initiatives, e.g. a plan to bolster its digital library and related offerings. There are also several faculty members who are prominent in their areas of research - - Dr. Bella Hass Weinberg (indexing, thesauri development) and Dr. Sherry Vellucci (cataloging, metadata) . . . just to name two.

>From my experience, SJU-DLIS is an intimate, supportive, friendly atmosphere in which to study and learn.

------------------------
kevin nolan
web site editorial director
www.adelphi.edu
e-mail: nolan at adelphi.edu
------------------------

>>> Harris Grossman <hgrossma at worldnet.att.net> - 5/8/01 2:11 PM >>>
Hello.

I have been a lurker for quite some time.

A friend of mine is interested in getting an MBA in Library Sciences.

He is considering St. Johns Unviersity in New York.

How does this school rate or is there a better one to consider in the New
York area.

Thanks you in advance.

Harris M. Grossman
Computer Software Trainer/Consultant