Use of a collaborative 24x7 chat-based reference service

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Mon May 7 15:56:44 EDT 2001

A few weeks ago (April 19) I posted some preliminary usage data for the
Ready for Reference pilot project, which is providing 24x7 live reference
service to the users of eight academic libraries in central and western
Illinois.

The usage data I presented in April were based on 176 user-initiated live
reference sessions from a roughly two-week period from March 28 through
April 12. I now have usage data based on 474 sessions from a 13-week period
from January 31 through April 29.

These new data summarize use by hour of day (at one-hour intervals), by day
of week, and by week.

This brief report is available on the Web at:

http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~b-sloan/ready4ref.htm

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning and Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone: (217) 333-4895