[WEB4LIB] RE: Opera question

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon May 7 10:26:06 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew, Bill" <drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 10:03 AM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] RE: Opera question

> Diane and others are correct.  I just made the change.  Logically it
doesn't
> make sense to me to use different words for such things.  Why not center
or
> middle for both align and valign?  Just a rhetorical question.

I believe the answer lies in the IMG tag, where some genius
(*cough*Netscape*cough*) added an align attribute to handle both
horizontal and vertical placement, thus requiring different words for
horizontal and vertical centering.  The center/middle distinction carried
over to other tags, even when they more sensibly provided both align and
valign attributes (though, of course, "halign" would have been even more
obvious at that point, imo).

It's enough to make you think the development of HTML should have had some
sort of standards process involved, rather than corporate ad hockery.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu