[WEB4LIB] Re: IrfanView

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu May 24 20:25:43 EDT 2001

I'd say that Irfan does NOT expect payment from a nonprofit.
Remember, though his English is quite good, he's Bosnian, going to
school in Austria.

He indeed says that it
"is provided as freeware, but only for private, non-commercial use
(that means at home)."
But then goes on to say:
"If you intend to use IrfanView at your place of business or for
commercial purposes, please register and purchase it."

To my way of thinking, that means that loc.gov or boisestate.edu can
use it for free.  We certainly do at Boise State.  We are not a place
of business or using it for commercial purposes.  Also, he encourages
anyone to send him a ten dollar bill or equivalent in cash if they
like it and want it to continue to develop.  I've done so, and may do
so again.  I'm one who is really righteous about paying for shareware,
but I consider this to be freeware.  One more reason to consider it
freeware is because it is so labelled at download.com and elsewhere,
and Irfan's own website labels it as freeware in large letters in the
bottom left corner of the homepage.

Even though he asks for cash, I'll bet that he'd be able to handle the
bank charges if loc.gov cut him a check for a couple grand for all the
copies you wanted to pay for.  8-)

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA