Creating local content for web

bob frasier RL-Frasier at wiu.edu
Thu May 24 13:20:21 EDT 2001

A good point which brings us back to the original inquiry concerning an
inexpensive, easy to use system to manage records in a web environment. If
libraries had the budget/commitment required then perhaps fewer people would be
looking at systems such as Filemaker.

At least in the environments that I'm familiar with, it seems that the
commitment extends as far as purchasing an opac. Since these have evolved into,
or are maketed as,  library management systems, perphaps the view is that these
should satisfy the libraries' information systems needs. It seems that one
measure of the effectiveness of an opac is the number of home grown systems that
have to be grafted onto it in order to satisfy the user needs. (When I arrived
here I discovered that virtually every department has their own home-grown
records keeping mechanism independant of the opac. Some of these consist of
notebooks with 25 years of pieces of paper inserted.)

The end result is that much of what we are doing (or at least I am) is patchwork
- fixing the holes in an opac - rather than the preferred goal of looking at the
libraries needs overall.

Bob Frasier
Western Illinois University

<snip>