[WEB4LIB] Managing E-mail Reference Questions

Caleb Tucker-Raymond ctuckerr at stmarys-ca.edu
Thu May 3 14:33:02 EDT 2001

We are actually working on an email reference management system.

It's based on PHP and MySQL. Mostly, we're borrowing code from a
multimedia collection development and acquisitions tracking system that is
already in place here.

I'm hoping the system will be in place for the fall semester, given the
numerous other projects we have to do and a vacant position right now.

We haven't planned to assign "owners" to reference questions. Whoever is
on duty handles any questions or replies to answers that come in. It's
worth considering though.

One feature we are planning that we consider essential is the ability to
wipe personal information related to reference questions. It won't be
perfect unless someone goes through and deletes patrons' signature files
from archived email, but it's a start.

Also, for statistics, we plan on having an output to spreadsheet feature.

Our "Ask a Librarian" service has been publicized through bibliographic
instruction and a link from the main library home page. Response hasn't
been overwhelming, but what little we have got has been encouraging,
especially from our extended-education-distance-learning students.

Caleb Tucker-Raymond
Electronic Systems Librarian
Saint Mary's College of California