Virtual Reference Veterans to Get Together at ALA

Stephen Coffman coffmanfyi at earthlink.net
Thu May 31 02:17:18 EDT 2001

Over the past few months, a number of the libraries using LSSI's Virtual Reference software have asked us to sponsor an informal get-together for virtual reference veterans at ALA.   At the same time, Jana Ronan, from the University of Florida and others using different kinds of software had also expressed an interest in sharing some 'face-time' at ALA.   So instead of having a bunch of competing venues, we thought it would be a good idea if we all joined forces and put together one big meeting for everybody working in live virtual reference, regardless of what software you are using.   Because, as all of you who do virtual reference know, there is one heck of a lot we have to learn from each other.

So here are the details.  First place it involves beer ... a necessary ingredient almost anytime virtual reference librarians get together.  And we are holding it in the upstairs dining room at the Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant (http://www.gordonbiersch.com/restaurants/san_francisco.html) from 3-5pm (or as long as you want to go) on Saturday, June 16th.  Gordon Biersch is at 2 Harrison Street, right near the waterfront and about a six block walk from the Moscone Center ... here's a map, so you won't get lost.
(http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?BFCat=&Pyt=Tmap&newFL=Use+Address+Below&addr=2+harrison+&csz=san+francisco%2C+ca&country=us&Get%A0Map=Get+Map).  You can also take the Muni or a taxi if you don't want to walk.

The dining room we will be in is closed at that time, so we won't have to compete with all of other drunken louts to discuss the subjects that are dear to our hearts.

I have promised to pick up a couple of platters of appetizers and the first few pitchers of beer, but after that, you are on your own ok.

Jana Ronan will be there to welcome you all and to make sure you pay your bill (just kidding, just kidding) ... but you will want to give her an email at ronan at MAIL.UFLIB.UFL.EDU so we will have a rough idea of how many to expect.

Now the only sad part is, I won't be able to be there, because I have to handle one of the CDRS Live Online Interactive sessions between 3:30-5:30, but Kay Henshall, LSSI's Head Trainer, and Michelle Fiander, our new Web Reference Center Manager will be, and I may try to make it over there after CDRS if you all hang around long enough.   Meanwhile, have a round for me, and I hope everybody has a great time.  ... and it is really something to see how far we have brought this in the past few years ... I mean not so very long ago it was hard to find two librarians who knew what virtual reference was ... now, there are so many of us that we can't even get together for a beer without making a special reservation .. now there's progress for you.

See you alll in SF

SC

Steve Coffman
Product Development Manager