IE 5.5 print preview and frames

Mike Novak prx000 at mail.connect.more.net
Fri May 11 15:26:55 EDT 2001

Greetings...  I've started migrating over from the years-old Navigator stand
alone to Teamsoft's Public Web Browser (based on IE 5.5.).  Because we
charge for printing, we encourage patrons to do a "Print Preivew" before
printing.  It's been brought to my attention that when you do a print
preview in IE (and hence PWB) on a page with frames, the entire text of a
long frame is not shown, instead a scroll bar is shown on the side of the
frame and "page 1 of 1" is shown on the previewed page.  However if you
print the document, you get the entire frame contents.  A search of the MS
knowledge base returned Article Q255966, which says simply "This behavior is
by design."  Am I the only one who thinks this behavior is a little strange?
Wouldn't it be nice if the Print Preview was actually a Preview of the
Print?  Or am I missing something?

Mike Novak
Technology Coordinator & Reference Librarian
University City Public Library