Webcasting input sought

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Fri May 11 10:10:12 EDT 2001

For my next column in American Libraries, I am going to write about
webcasting (audio and/or video)--something I've been playing with and
enjoying the "possibilitiness" of.

Has your library or library-based business created webcasts?  Are you
planning to?  What uses do you see for webcasting (staff resources, public
information, instruction...)?  Are you using some of the "free" encoding
products now available, did you purchase software, are you using special
servers?  Did you come across issues related to format (e.g. Realplayer vs.
Windows Media) and how did you resolve them?  What recording hardware are
you using (recorders, mikes, peripherals, etc.)?

If you would like to share your webcasting experiences, questions, success
stories, or lessons learned, email me no later than Friday, May 18, at
kgs at bluehighways.com, and be sure to include your name, organization, and
state or country.

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Assistant Director for Technology