[WEB4LIB] Preventing a browser window from being shut down; not just the browser

Mike Novak prx000 at mail.connect.more.net
Fri Mar 30 10:36:35 EST 2001

> Here is the difficult part. Although we can prevent users from closing
down
> the browser we can not prevent them from closing down the website. This is
> important to us because we use Epixtech's WebPac which uses a lot of Java
> applets and consequently takes a long time to load.

I'm not really sure I follow this -- what do you mean by closing down the
website?   We use WebPAC (a good example of poor usuability, in my opinion)
and they way I do it for in-house catalog station is use IE's kiosk mode
(iexplore.exe -k url), which removes the button bars and everything else.
The browser can still be closed with ALT+F4.  You can use websa.html to edit
WebPAC to remove the "Home" button within webpac if you like.  Because we
don't have exclusive WebPAC stations here, I use the above technique but use
a frameless-frame layout to add an EXIT button below the WebPAC screen.  You
can see it at http://www.mlc.lib.mo.us/ucframes.html .
(For others, this wonderful product has problems loading properly with
Netscape 4.x -- good thing no one's running that browser anymore...
[sarcasm] )

Hope this helps,
Mike Novak
Technology Coordinator & Reference Librarian
University City Public Library