[WEB4LIB] EMail Access at the Public Library

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Tue Mar 27 10:59:25 EST 2001

"Charles B. Gambrell" <cbgamb at acan.net> said:

> Some of our staff are again discussing allowing the public to access email
> accounts at our library.  At present it is our policy to not support public
> computer access to email.
>
> I am curious, in the Public Libraries, who allows and who does not allow
> email.

We allow access to e-mail here at Yakima Valley Regional. The way we have it
set up is that we have two kinds of public access stations: filtered and
unfiltered. Now I'm not going to get into the ethics of filtering vs. non-
filtering simply because we had a huge controversy blow up in one of our
branch libraries about it.

Basically the way we have it set up is that our users sign Internet User
Agreements which state our policies and limitations on access. Adults can
sign up for either filtered or unfiltered access, most choose unfiltered of
course. Minors can have access to either, but a parent or legal guardian must
specify on the form and sign for the minor in question. The filtering
prevents anyone from entering any sort of personal information (supposedly)
like usernames and passwords. So free access e-mail (i.e. Hotmail) is
unavailable on those machines. Now the unfiltered is just that, you can acess
anything including Hotmail or whatever. However, our users are allowed only
30 minutes of access at a time, unless there's no line of people signed up
and that is very rare especially at the main library.

So while our users are allowed to access e-mail, we ask that they do it
inside of 30 minutes.

Dan

--
The subject in question...