[WEB4LIB] Re: librarians using buggy browsers

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Mon Mar 26 13:27:10 EST 2001

> The problem I reported
> to Bill exists in NN4.08 (one of Bill's buggies), goes away in NC4.6,
> reappears in NC4.7 and 4.73, and goes away in version 6.  And just for the
> sake of argument, the problem I see when I visit billdrew.net using NN4.08
> does *not* exist if I copy the code from that page, paste it into a new
> doc, and view it locally (still in NN4.08).  Although I guess I'm savvy
> enough to run that experiment, I'm not savvy enough to know why there's a
> difference and whether it points to a buggy browser or buggy code or
> what.  (If a browser can't handle a chunk of code, which is buggy, the
> browser or the code?)

Just for fun, I ran Bill's page through the W3C's HTML Validator
(http://validator.w3.org/).  Yikes!!

It found a couple of unclosed SCRIPT tags, unclosed TABLE, DIV etc, plus
"Error: element "BODY" not allowed here; check which elements this element
may be contained within", which points to a larger problem.  Appears to be a
problem with the JavaScript that comes before BODY (a missing quote).

- Darryl

  Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
  Education & Research Technology Services,     http://gollum.usask.ca/
  Department of Computing Services,