Fwd: [WEB4LIB] digital library consortia

Kathy Wheeler kwheeler at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Sun Mar 25 15:27:22 EST 2001

Alabama has one called the Alabama Virtual Library. It's at
http://www.avl.lib.al.us/
There's an article on it in Computers in Libraries at
http://www.infotoday.com/cilmag/jan01/morgan.htm
In 2000, the AVL was the winner of Solinet's Outstanding Library Program
The Multi-Type Library Cooperation Award.

>Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:16:47 -0800 (PST)
>Sender: web4lib at webjunction.org
>From: "Tomaiuolo, Nicholas (Library)" <TomaiuoloN at mail.ccsu.edu>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
>Subject: [WEB4LIB] digital library consortia
>
>Dear Colleagues,
>Please forgive A) my crossposting this question and B)if it is somewhat out
>of the list's scope.
>
>Connecticut (USA) has launched a service that allows residents holding a
>valid library card in its state access to an attractive list of database
>resources.  In essence, students and residents in the state can perform
>bibliographic database searches and retrieve citations and full-text when
>available from periodicals.  Authenication, of course, is required. I
>believe it is a great asset to any end-user.
>
>My question is: what other states, cuntries, or geographic consortia, have
>similar projects in place?  I am aware of a couple others, but if you have
>any information concerning "digital libraries" of this sort, could you pass
>your comments, and URLs if known, on to me? [I hope this doesn't fall into
>the 'DUH' category.]
>
>On a side note, I think developments of this sort really beg the question
>"is there a need for end-user subscription databases" such as Questia.
>
>Thank you very much,
>Nick Tomaiuolo
>Reference Librarian
>Central Connecticut State University

Kathy
Wheeler
kwheeler at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Electronic Services/Reference                             That's jaguar ONE!
University of South Alabama, University Library  334-460-7938
Mobile, AL  36688
http://library.southalabama.edu