advice please

Elena O'Malley omalleye at emmanuel.edu
Sat Mar 24 13:56:26 EST 2001

> My interest is in starting a forum/website for issues
> pertaining to usability and library electronic subscription resources.
> If there is not already such a creature for librarians, what are some of
> the features you'd like to see incorporated into such a site?
> Liz Linton
> Electronic Resources Librarian
> Sweet Briar College

Two resources:

The Charleston advisor: critical reviews of web products for information
professionals.  http://www.charlestonco.com/
(Among other content, this compares aggregators & interfaces that
supply the same databases and/or content.)

Digital Reference Reviews on Gale (Peter Jasco).
http://www.galegroup.com/reference/peter/peter.html
(He tends to include usability in his evaluations.)

I was surprised to discover that at least one vendor was
responsive to usability complaints. However, I referred to the
problems as "a bug in your code" -- perhaps that's why it
fixed them.

In the proposed resource, I'd like to see a collection of contacts and
links for vendors' feedback forums (signups for user development
groups and the like), especially if you could get any comments on
the vendor's responsiveness from current members/users of these
forums.

Elena O'Malley, Technology Librarian, Cardinal Cushing Library
Emmanuel College, 400 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115
omalleye at emmanuel.edu