[WEB4LIB] Re: Death of the Copyright Thread...

Charles P. Hobbs chhobbs at cdrewu.edu
Wed Mar 21 12:48:59 EST 2001

James Cayz wrote:

> Now, look at CDs.  I can't remember their original prices, but it wasn't
> like $50 or $60 - maybe $25?  But, now we have the technology in place to
> make a copy (still not perfect), in 15-20 minutes, for maybe $1.  The
> price of the original are still $15(?), and still 15:1 or higher.  Drop
> the price of prerecorded CDs to $5 - $7, and I think the "copyright"
> problem would disappear.

The used-CD places such as SecondSpin.com and Wherehouse seem to do
ok...that's about how much a used CD costs there....Interesting.

>  Case in point - when was the last time you heard
> anyone copying an AOL signup CD?  Why Bother?
>
> So, those still standing, answer me this - who loses MOST by lowering the
> cost of CDs 50%?

The record companies? There's a list out there showing the division of
revenues per CD sold, and they seem to get a lot of it.

>  And why do you think *they* want to protect their profit
> margins?

Like any other for profit institution--they like money coming in?

--
Charles P. Hobbs
King Drew Health Science Library