[WEB4LIB] Death of the Copyright Thread...

HTheyer htheyer at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 20 22:07:48 EST 2001

Although I understand when an intense thread on a list gets boring for some,
I am tackled with the copyright issue daily in the public library.  "Why
can't I get that mailed to me for free?"  "What do you mean I have to pay $5
for an Inter Library Loan!  Isn't that free online somewhere?"  "You mean I
have to TYPE my OWN bibliography, won't the computer make it for me?"  "What
is a bibliography?"  "What is a footnote?" "I thought all the magazines were
free on the Internet now."  I got a CD returned to the library, and what was
in the case was the burned copy that the person had made from our copy
(which we paid full price for, and he chose to keep because he liked the
picture on it, thinking a copy he had made was fine for the library).  I
find pictures cut from books that turn up pasted into reports of third
graders (the book vandalism takes importance in that one!), teens pasting
from the online encyclopedia into wordpad and saying "My essay is finished!"
And on and on.  If we don't truly understand, and are not perpared to cope
with the issues, how are we going to help the students, who need to be the
copyright protectors of the future?

Hillary Theyer