[WEB4LIB] RE: Gray Hats Re: Re: Jack Valenti: Copyright and

Chris Deweese chrisd at lcls.org
Tue Mar 20 18:06:28 EST 2001

Again we see hacking being classified in a "dark" manner.  As matt said, hacking is about the method and not the context.  Might I suggest this story:
Seven-Line Perl code beats DVD Crypto
A seven-line program written in perl script beats the MPAA's DVD encryption scheme.  The program was written by a former MIT student and a currnet undergrad.  A pure example of hacking being about the method.
These guys didnt write this program to copy dvd's.  They wrote it to prove how weak the system currently used is.  deCSS the original program to decrypt dvds was written by a 15 year old kid.
I see no wrong doing in this.  But the MPAA has been in an uproar about it.  Why? Because it shows how little money they really invested in coming up with a copy protection system.  More money is probably invested in child safety caps for medicine.(thats a guess not a fact)

Hackers do not do things out of some "evil" motive.  Most of them do it because they want to learn and to prove that things can be better.  The hackers who deface pages and blatantly do things to be noticed, they are the ones we call hackers.  But I argue that they arent true hackers, they are just someone who has taken the tools and used them for their own evil.

To draw a parallel- The hammer is a useful tool, however I can go take a hammer and injure someone.  In the same manner, security auditing tools are useful but you can use those tools to look for vulnerabilities on other networks.  Also, by showing how weak CSS is, the MPAA should use that information to invest in revamping their copy protection system.

Chris D