Gray Hats Re: [WEB4LIB] Re: Jack Valenti: Copyright and creativity

Matt Theobald mtheobal at ihets.org
Tue Mar 20 14:05:52 EST 2001

What relevance do mainstream consumers have to the access and abilities of
hackers (or those who know the subculture)  It is built into the revenue
that though 1 billion is lost several billions are made.  I think we ought
not to confuse knowledge that truly contributes to GNP with entertainment
that drains expendable income.  Big difference between hacking private
medical, legal, government info versus someone hacking a DVD
encryption.  Hackers white and black are pro freedom of information across
the spectrum of ethics.

Just to play with color theory, both types can have "green" hats on
depending on their motivation for using the technology.

Links: Gray Hats
http://www.2600.org
http://www.attrition.net

-Matt