[WEB4LIB] Re: death of copyright

Lee Jaffe ldjaffe at cats.ucsc.edu
Mon Mar 19 18:59:26 EST 2001

Following Walt Crawford's posting, I sat down and read through Roy
Tennant slide show.   Roy doesn't seem to be advocating anything in
particular, and certainly not anything which could be interpreted as
"situational ethics".  Roy's point, giving  myself leave to speak for him,
seems to be that the technology renders copyright enforcement mean-
ingless.  Roy never says "it's ok to do it" only that there is no way to
control access anymore.

To use Walt's speed violation metaphor, I think Roy's presentation
goes far beyond the mundane dilemma Walt poses.  Roy isn't
suggesting we speed just because there are no traffic cops around.
Roy is asking, "Now that we have these fancy flying cars, why do
we still have to stick to the roads?"

-- Lee Jaffe