[WEB4LIB] Re: hanging indents?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Mar 16 13:26:33 EST 2001

> >  Is there any way to create a hanging indent on a web page?

Here's some of what this solution misses.

Unlikely: If the user has a personal stylesheet that sets properties on
any of DL, DT, or DD, the solution fails.

More likely: If the site implements a site-wide stylesheet and sets
properties on DL, DT, or DD, the solution fails.

Very likey (for this application): the user copies the text in the browser
and pastes it into Word.  One citation ends up as two paragraphs, and is
likely to fall apart if the user subsequently does any paragraph
formatting.  BTW, on my copy of IE5.5 and Word2000, pasting a correctly
styled hanging paragraph into Word retains all formatting.

Inevitable: Since you cannot know my line length, you cannot estimate
where to stop the DT and start the DD.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu