Fwd: [WEB4LIB] RE: website training and review - what works?

Kathy Wheeler kwheeler at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Fri Mar 16 13:16:44 EST 2001

Anyone from the community can come and use our library -- we get a lot of
non-university users both in the library building and on our web site. I
think, in our case anyway, the University's webmaster just didn't
understand that it was important to have the library listed as a separate
entity on the University's homepage.  When I showed him how other
universities did list libraries and explained why, he didn't have a problem
creating a listing for us. So now we are easier to get to from the
university's homepage.

The question I was interested in was how not having separate server names
constitutes a breach of academic freedom, which seemed to be what Tony is
saying. We have three names -- one for the university, one for our library
(this is a virtual name though, not an actual one -- it resolves to one
that is off of the university's domain name), and one for our catalog.

>Kathy Wheeler <kwheeler at jaguar1.usouthal.edu> said:
>
> > Tony, I also wanted to ask a question. How is not having all types of
> names
> > a breach of academic freedom? I'm asking this question simply to know, not
> > to be a smart alec or to flame anybody.
>
>I don't know what Tony's take on that is, but I agree with him in the respect
>that a library is supposed to be a place of free information. I don't know
>the policies of other universities, but where I went to school absolutly
>anybody could USE the library. There was a charge for a non-student/non-
>faculty to get a card, but no one blinked an eye to someone just walking in
>and utilizing the collection in house. Since your university was more or less
>opposed easy access to your library, they were thus blocking access to free
>information. That, in my opinion, is a breach of academic freedom.
>
>Just a thought.
>Dan
>
>--
>The subject in question...
>-------------
>Daniel Messer
>Technologies Instructor
>Yakima Valley Regional Library
>dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
>509-452-8541 ext 712
>102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
>When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
>                                          -Hunter S. Thompson

Kathy
Wheeler
kwheeler at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Electronic Services/Reference                             That's jaguar ONE!
University of South Alabama, University Library  334-460-7938
Mobile, AL  36688
http://library.southalabama.edu